Moated Site, with traces of an outlying enclosure, in Brays Wood, 3 miles South-East of the Church, is situated 600ft above the Ordnance Datum. It has a slight Rampart and outer Bank and is further protected on the South-West by a 2nd Ditch. There is an entrance on the Southwest and another on the North-East, and in the South-West corner are what appear to be the Foundations of a small Rectangular Building; 16th or 17th-century Tiles were found recently on the Site. Enclosing it on 3 sides are the remains of a larger work of inferior strength, consisting of a shallow Ditch, with a slight bank in places. A Plan drawn in 1856 shows a further extension of this work towards the East and the Ditches of both sites communicating with each other. Area of inner Work, 1 acre; outer Work approximately 2⅓ acres.
Thomas Leaptrap (1650) was evidently a “Freeholder” (Owner) of part of a Cottage on West Street (now the left half of 23 Pound Street) that he Willed in 1732 to his grandson Thomas (1711), son of his eldest son John (1679), who had died 9 years earlier. Quoting from Thomas’ Will:
“I give and bequeath unto my Grandson Thomas son of John Leaptrap of the Parish of Chesham in the County of Bucks all thatt Mesuage or Tenement Wherein I now dwell Scituate lying and being in the West Street of Wendover aforesaid together with all and every the yard garden backsides outhouses barns Edifisis buldings ways water Courses Comons and Profits Whatsoever Together with all and Every the Plott of Ground which I Purchased of Henry Rayner Scituate lying and being att the uper End of My Little Garden Next Adjoyning to it; and all the Shelves and Cubords and Dreser and the Wainscots behind the Table to be Left for Standard to the house.“
West Street became known as Pound Street sometime before 1768, when an animal Pound had been built in the middle of the Street just west of the intersection with South Street, which was the Road to London. The Cottage is opposite the “gateway” (now the Car Park) to the Shoulder of Mutton Pub. The Cottage was shown on the 1620 Map of the Manor, and would have originally been similar to the block of Cottages still seen next door, made of oak beams filled with “wattle & daub” and with a Thatched Roof. The neighbouring house, pictured here about 1910, has been only slightly modified in exterior. As the wattle & daub failed, it was replaced with brick, but still painted white, the Oak Beams black. The interior was modified at some point, combining 6 tiny apartments into 3. When the Thatch was replaced, sometime between a 1960 picture and 2015, the upstairs windows were enlarged. But otherwise, the exterior of the house is largely unchanged today. The building next door, now No.s19 to 23 Pound Street, however, was modified during the Georgian Period, the1700’s, as brick became more easily available. The apartment at left (No.19) had its wattle & daub replaced by bricks between the beams, as the cottages above, but the brick have remained unpainted. The others (No.s 21 & 23) saw a new face of brick, covering the Beams, the Tile Roof replaced the Thatch to complete the “modern” look for the 18th Century. The building was later converted from 6 apartments into 3. Modern windows have since been installed.
Pound Street, Northside, from East to West.
(3) Cottage, of 2-Storeys, the Upper partly in the Roof, built probably late in the 16th century, and Timber-framed; the filling is of modern brick, and there was much Ivy on the walls. The Roof is tiled. At the back and on the East side are low modern additions. At the West end is a Chimney Stack of thin bricks; the Stack at the East end is modern above the Roof.
Interior: On the Ground Floor, both rooms have open Timber ceilings with stop-chamfered Beams, and there is one large Fireplace, partly blocked. The Timbers of the Roof are visible, the Trusses forming the sides of the Upper Rooms, with large curved Braces from Floor to Ridge, and the Purlins have curved Braces.
(4). House, now 2 Cottages, is of 2-Storeys, built in the 1st half of the 17th century, of Brick & Timber, now much covered with Ivy; the Front was re-faced with brick in the 18th century, and there is a modern addition at the Back. The Roof is Tiled. The plain Chimney Stack at each end of the building is original.
Interior: On the Ground Floor there are 2 Large Fireplaces, with corner-seats converted into cupboards; one has the original recess for Tinder-box. In the Ceilings are rough chamfered Beams, and some old Oak Steps have been re-used in the back Staircase at the East end of the house.
(5). Cottage, of 2-Storeys, built early in the 17th century, and Timber-framed with brick filling, partly whitewashed, and much covered with Ivy. The Roof is thatched. At the West end is a large Gateway; the wall above it, in Front, is covered with Weather-boarding; next to the Gateway, on the Westside, is a Chimney Stack, partly original, built of Stone, Flint, & Brick. There is a modern addition at the back.
Interior: On the Ground Floor there is a chamfered Beam in the ceiling, and an open Fireplace, now blocked.
(6). Cottage, of 2-Storeys, dated 1621 on the bracket of a Beam inside the house; a small Wing at the back was added probably later in the 17th century. The South Front retains the original Timber-framing, with brick filling probably of a later date. On the Eastside the Upper Storey is original, and has plaster filling; the projecting Chimney Stack is of thin bricks. The Wing at the back is Timber-framed, with brick filling probably of the 18th century.
Interior: On the Ground Floor the ceiling has a stop-chamfered Beam with a Post and moulded Bracket, dated 1621. The wide Fireplaces are blocked.
(7). House, now forming part of the Shoulder of Mutton & Railway Hotel, and adjoining (6) at the Westend, is of 2-Storeys and an Attic, built probably in the 1st half of the 17th century, and re-faced with brick in the 18th century. The East Gable, above the adjoining cottage, shows the original Timber-framing & Brick filling. The plan is L-shaped. The central Chimney Stack is of 17th-century Brick. On the Ground Floor some original Beams remain in the Ceilings, and the Open Fireplaces are partly blocked.
Pound Street, Southside, from West to East
(8–13). Houses & Cottages, 6, forming several Tenements, are all of 2-Storeys, except one House and a Cottage near the Westend of the Street, which have Attics; all built in the 17th century, of brick, or Timber & Brick, considerably restored, and partly covered with plaster; the Roofs are Tiled, except one, which is Thatched. Some of the Chimney Stacks are original. All the buildings have open Fireplaces, some of them partly blocked, and nearly all have chamfered Beams in the Ceilings.
South Street or London Road, Eastside
(14). The King & Queen Inn No.17 is of 2-Storeys and an Attic, built probably early in the 17th century, of Timber and Brick, now much restored and altered. The Roofs are Tiled. The plan, originally rectangular, with a central Chimney Stack, is now L-shaped, modern additions having been made at the Northend and at the Back. Inside the House is a large open Fireplace, and some of the Ceilings have chamfered Beams.
South Street or London Road, Westside
(15–18). Cottages, 4, the westernmost now 2 Tenements, are all of 2-Storeys, built in the 17th century, of Timber & Brick, restored with 18th-century or modern brick, and partly covered with plaster. The roofs are tiled. All the Cottages were original and of central Chimney type, but 3 have modern additions; some of the original Stacks remain. In Front, the Upper Storeys of the 2 Northern Cottages formerly projected, but have been under-built. One Cottage has an open Timber Ceiling and the others have chamfered Ceiling-Beams.
High Street, Southside, from West to East
(19). House, now Bosworth House, and a 2nd dwelling, is of 2-Storeys, with a Cellar and an Attic, built of Brick & Timber, probably early in the 17th century, but almost entirely re-fronted with modern brick. The original plan was rectangular, possibly with a small Central Wing at the back, which is now enclosed by modern additions. On the North Front, the Upper Storey formerly Projected but has been under-built, except at the Eastend. Three Chimney Stacks are built of old thin bricks; the Westernmost has 3 Circular Shafts with moulded Bases, the top probably has been altered. The 2nd dwelling has chamfered Beams in one Room, and in a modern room at the back is some 17th-century panelling, now painted and used as a Partition. Under a covered Gateway at the Eastend of Bosworth House is a stone pillar piscina, probably of the 15th century but much broken and weather-worn.
House, at one time part of a single Range with No.25. 16 altered. Timber framed with brick infill and refacing to ground floor. Old tile Roof with Chimney each end, diagonal shafts to LH Stack, 3 Circular Shafts on moulded base to RH Stack. 2 small gabled Dormers. 2-Storeys & Attic, 2 Bays of Tripartite Sashes with large panes and brick soldier Arches. 6-panelled central Door with narrow rectangular Fanlight and simple architrave. Interior: Ground floor: chamfered Beams; right-hand room has rebuilt Fireplace and 17thC panelling re-located from left-hand 1st-Floor room.
1st Floor: left Room has fragments of wall painting of 3rd quarter of 16thC in date. There are remnants of 2 panels depicting Birds in foliage, and Painting on one window Post. The right-hand room has large brick Fireplace with moulded, Tudor-arched, surround. Attic: at right end, Fireplace with flattened elliptical Arch; Roof has collared Trusses with struts and principal Rafters, 2 tiers of butt Purlins, and pegged common Rafters.
(20) House, now a Shop and part of the King’s Head Inn, is of 2-Storeys and an Attic, built probably c.1580 but much altered. The front is covered with plaster but has 3 original Gables with moulded Barge-boards & Pendants. A Wing at the back, built of red brick with black headers, is probably of late 17th-century date. Inside the House are some old ceilings, a large Fireplace, partly blocked, and a Staircase, which is possibly of late 17th-century date, but now thickly varnished.
No.1 High Street Early Kings Head. Grade II 16thC altered 17/18thC. Timber framed with brick infilling, rendered to Front. Old tiled Roof, 2‐Storeys. Three 4‐light leaded casements to 1st floor. Plain Shopfront to Ground Floor. A vertical strip of modern brickwork at Northend of wall suggests that the front formerly had an overhanging Upper Storey. The plain Gable End of Brick & Beams are all rendered white. Later site demolished apart from one Gable & Door.
(21) The Red Lion Hotel, of 2-Storeys and an Attic, was built of Timber & Brick early in the 17th century, but the Timber-framing has been recently almost entirely renewed and refilled with the old bricks; a Wing at the back has been also re-built with old bricks; re-set in a Gable at the Southend is a Tablet with the date 1669 and the initials WRF At the Westend of the main Block is an original Chimney Stack and a large covered Gateway. Inside the House the West Room has a large open Fireplace, with corner Seats & Oak Lintel, and some of the Ceilings have old Beams.
(22) House, probably originally a Farmhouse, now 2 shops, was built apparently in the 17th century on an L-shaped plan, with Timber-framed walls, which are now encased in late 17th or early 18th-century and modern brick, except one wall at the Back. At the Westend, opening into the Yard at the back, is a large Gateway and a Chimney Stack, which is built of 17th-century brick. At the Southend of the Wing at the back is another 17th-century Chimney, with a large open Fireplace under it. The Western shop has a heavy stop-chamfered Beam in the Ceiling.
(23). House, now 2 Shops, is of 2-Storeys, built probably early in the 16th century, but altered and enlarged in the 17th & 19th centuries. The walls are partly Timber-framed, partly covered with plaster or re-faced with modern brick. The Upper Storey apparently projected in front and at the Eastend, which is Gabled, and retains old timber-framing, with brick filling probably of later date. The Roofs are Tiled. Between the 2 Shops is a Chimney Stack of early 17th-century brick. One Shop has a large Fireplace with the original Chimney-corner Seats, now enclosed in cupboards, and in the Ceiling is a moulded Beam, probably of early 16th-century date.
High Street. Northside
(24–25). Houses, now 3 Tenements, are of 2-Storeys, and the East Tenement has a Cellar & Attic. The walls are chiefly of brick; the Roofs are Tiled. The East & West Tenements are probably of early 17th-century date and show old Timber-framing in some of the walls. The West Tenement is of L-shaped Plan, with the Wings extending towards the North & West; the Front is partly of brick, and partly covered with plaster; at the junction of the Wings is an original Chimney Stack. The East Tenement, of Rectangular Plan, was re-fronted with brick late in the 17th century and has a moulded wood Cornice. The space between the Eas & West Tenements appears to have been enclosed in the 18th century and now forms the middle dwelling. There are modern additions at the back.
Interior: Some of the rooms have chamfered Ceiling-Beams and open Fireplaces, partly blocked. In a Passage, on the ground floor, is a piece of early 17th-century panelling. In the East Tenement, the Staircase from the 1st-Floor to the Attic is of old Oak, and 3 Oak battened Doors are original.
(26–27). House, now 2 Tenements, and The Two Brewers Inn adjoining it, on an Island between the High Street & Back Street, are each of 2-Storeys, probably of early 17th-century date, now much restored and altered. The Fronts are covered with plaster; at the back are modern additions, but the original walls show between them, and are Timber-framed, with brick or plaster filling. The West wall of the house is of red brick with black headers, probably of late 17th-century date. The roofs are tiled.
The Inn has a chimney stack re-built with 17th-century brick. Inside the house is a large open Fireplace, partly blocked, an open Timber ceiling with a rough stop-chamfered Beam, and a cupboard door of mid-17th-century date with late 16th-century hinges inside it.
The Inn has a large open fireplace, now altered, and a stop-chamfered Beam in the ceiling. 16thC much altered. Timber framed with painted stucco front. Old Tiled roof with 5 brick Chimneys, 2 small Dormers to the RH part, 2-Storeys & Attic. The right side has 2 x 4-light upper casements, 2 – 19thC canted Bays to Ground Floor flanking modern glazed Door with Hood on brackets and 2-light casement to RH
Interior: Reported to have Truss with Arch-braced Collar. Now a Restaurant
(28). Vine Tree Farm, on the Northside of Back Lane, is of 2-Storeys, built of Timber & Brick probably c.1600, and re-fronted with Brick & Stone, probably early in the 18th century; at the East end the brick filling has been partly renewed, the Foundations are of Flint, and there is a half-hipped Gable; a similar Gable at the West end shows above the adjoining house. The original Plan was L-shaped, with the Wings extending towards the North & East and probably a Staircase Wing in the angle between them; modern additions have been built at the back. At the junction of the Wings is a Chimney-Stack of old thin bricks. Inside the House, on the Ground Floor, the ceilings have old Beams with Broach Stops and there is a wide, open Fireplace with Chimney-Corner Seats. The Roof-Timbers, above the ceiling of the 1st Floor, indicate that there was formerly an upper Hall of 2-Bays in the main part of the House; the central Truss has a Tie-beam with curved Braces above & below it; those above it are chamfered and have Broach Stops; the purlins have curved wind-braces. A Barn, Northeast of the House, is probably of the same date and has similar Trusses in the Roof.
Aylesbury Street, Westside, from South to North
(29). House, now a Shop, is of 2-Storeys, built of Timber & Brick, probably early in the 17th century, on a rectangular plan, and restored in the 18th & 19th centuries. The Roof is Tiled. In front, the Upper Storey is covered with plaster and formerly projected, but has been under-built with brick. Inside the House, there are open Fireplaces, partly blocked, and the Ceilings have stop-chamfered Beams.
(30). House, a 2-Storeyed Rectangular Building, of late 16th or early-17th-century date, with modern additions at the back. The Front is Timber-framed, with modern brick filling in the Lower Storey and Plaster filling in the overhanging Upper Storey. At the South end, the Gabled Upper Storey is visible above the adjoining old Fire Station and is covered with rough-cast. The Roof is Tiled. At the North end is a Chimney Stack built of old thin bricks.
(31) House, adjoining (30) at the North end, is of 2-Storeys, built probably in the 1st half of the 17th century, but re-fronted with modern Brick & Flint; at the back, the wall has been re-faced with late 17th-century brick, except the Gable, which has old Timbers. The roof is Tiled. Inside the house are 2 – 17th-century doors of moulded Battens with original Hinges.
(32) House, of 2-Storeys, built probably early in the 17th century, re-fronted with brick late in the 18th century and restored in the 19th century; some old Timber-framing remains at the back. The Roof is tiled. The original Plan was L-shaped, the Wings extending towards the North & West; the angle between them is now filled by a modern addition. At the North end is a large covered Gateway and at the South end is a Chimney Stack built of old thin bricks. Inside the house, there are old Ceiling-Beams and a large Fireplace, partly blocked. The original Staircase is not in use and from the Ground, to the 1st-Floor only the central Newel remains, now enclosed in a Cupboard.
(33) House, now 2 Tenements, one a Shop, is of 2-Storeys, built of Timber & Brick probably early in the 17th century, now re-fronted with modern brick. The Roof is Tiled. The Plan was originally T-shaped, the central Wing extending towards the South, but 18th-century and modern additions have been made at the back. The central Chimney Stack is original. Inside the house, there are chamfered Ceiling-Beams and a large Fireplace, partly blocked.
(34) Ivy House, is of 2-Storeys, built late in the 16th or early in the 17th century, on a rectangular plan; a South-West Wing, with a small Staircase Wing on the North side, was added later in the 17th century, a North-West Wing at the end of the 17th or beginning of the 18th century, and there are also modern additions. The East Front is covered with cement; the overhanging Upper Storey has been under-built, but the Doorway remains in its original position; the North end of the Main Block is Gabled & Timber-framed, with modern Brick filling. The South West Wing has old Timber-framing, with modern Brick filling and at the West end, a half-hipped Gable; the Staircase Wing is also Gabled. The North-West Wing is of Brick, and has 2 Gables on the Westside. The Roofs are Tiled. The Main Block and the South-West Wing have central Chimney Stacks of old thin bricks. Inside the house, there are stop-chamfered Beams in the ceilings; the Main Block has a wide, open Fireplace, with the chimney-corner seats enclosed in cupboards; in the South-West Wing is another large Fireplace, with a stop-chamfered Lintel, and in the North-West Wing a cupboard has a 17th-century door with original Strap-hinges.
(35) The Grange, on the eastern side of Aylesbury Street, once the residence of Dr Leonard Henry West, JP, has been much altered. Formerly ‘The Poplars’ it is a House of 2-Storeys and an Attic; the walls are of brick, covered with rough-cast; the Roofs are Tiled. It was built towards the end of the 17th century, probably on an L-shaped Plan, with the Wings extending towards the South & East and possibly with a small Staircase Wing in the angle between them. During the 18th century, the house was enlarged towards the South, making the plan Rectangular, and there are modern additions at the North end. On the West Front, are 2 Gabled Dormer windows, and an original central Chimney Stack with 4 square Shafts built of Brick. Inside the house, there are some old Ceiling-Beams, and the Staircase from the 1st-Floor to the Attics is probably original.
(36) House, of 2-Storeys, built probably late in the 16th or early in the 17th century, on a rectangular plan; a North-East Wing was added later in the 17th century, making the Plan L-shaped; in the 18th century the house was re-fronted, the Roofs were altered and the Attic windows destroyed; subsequently a covered Gateway at the East end appears to have been heightened, and the North East Wing was lengthened. The original walls are Timber-framed, partly covered with cement, and have brick filling; the front is of red brick with black headers; the roofs are tiled. The original Block has an old central Chimney-Stack with 6 grouped Octagonal Shafts, all covered with cement, and an original North-East Stack, with 4 Square Shafts set diagonally. Inside the house, there are several original panelled Doors, of Oak, all with Ornamental Ironwork, and 2 with Cock’s Head Hinges. Two of the rooms have old Ceiling-Beams with moulded Stops, and some of the original Timbers of the roof have been retained; the position of the Former Attic windows can be traced by the Notches in the Purlins.
(37). Chiltern House, is of 2-Storeys, built of Timber & Brick probably early in the 17th century, on an L-shaped Plan, re-fronted with red & black bricks in 1725, the date appearing on a Lead Rain-water Head; a North-East Wing was added late in the 18th or early in the 19th century, and there is a modern addition at the end of the original South East Wing. The Roofs are Tiled. Near the South end of the main block is an original Chimney-Stack with 3 Square Shafts, set diagonally. A covered Gateway at the South end is higher than the level of the 1st-Floor, probably to admit Stage Coaches, and may be a 17th-century addition. Inside the house, the original Oak Staircase remains, and there are wide Fireplaces, partly blocked.
(38) The Temperance Hotel is of 2-Storeys. The front is covered with plaster, and has a large covered Gateway at the East end; the other walls are of Timber & Brick; the Roofs are Tiled. It was built probably in the middle of the 16th century and was of central Chimney type; a South East Wing was added early in the 17th century, making the plan L-shaped, and there are modern additions at the back. The Square central Chimney-Stack is of old thin bricks and has moulded projecting courses about half-way up the Shaft. In the original part of the house, the South room on the Ground Floor has, in the ceiling, 2 – 16th-century moulded Beams, one crossing the other, and a stop-chamfered Beam, with notches in them, showing that the Upper Storey formerly projected; the wide Fireplace has been partly blocked. On the 1st-Floor, on each side of the Chimney-Stack, is an original Stone Fireplace with moulded Jambs and a flat Arch, now painted. In the South-East Wing the room on each Floor has Oak Panelling of c.1620, also painted; the door of a cupboard in the upper room is of similar Panelling and has small hinges with trefoiled ends. The Roofs have wind-braced Purlins, but the original Trusses have been altered.
(39). The Red House is of 2-Storeys, built probably in the 17th century, but much altered early in the 18th century, when the Front part of the House appears to have been completely re-built, and there are modern additions at the back. The walls are of Brick with a few old Timbers showing in the head of a small Gable at the back. One Room is lined with panelling of c.1630, with fluted Frieze, moulded Architrave & Cornice, all of Oak, now painted. Another room has a Ceiling-Beam, probably of early 17th-century date, supported on contemporary Posts and curved Brackets.
(40) House, later a Shop & Bakehouse, formerly 4 Cottages, at the corner of Aylesbury Street and the Tring Road, was built probably early in the 17th century, but has been almost entirely re-faced with 18th-century and modern brick; the North wall of the North-East Wing is of old Timber-framing, with whitewashed Brick filling, and at the East end, above a modern addition, is a Gable covered with Tile-hanging. On the Ground Floor all the rooms have old Ceiling-Beams, one moulded, and in the North-East Wing is an old Oak Staircase.
Tring Road, Northside
(41–45). Coldharbour Row, 11 Cottages, probably formerly 5 houses, each of 2-Storeys, the Upper Storey partly in the Roof. They were built probably before 1620, except the 3rd Cottage from the West end, which was added probably late in the 17th century. In front the walls are Timber-framed, with Brick filling of later date; at the back are modern additions; the Roofs are Thatched. Five of the Chimney-Stacks are original.
Interior: Many of the original Ceiling-Beams and some open Timber Ceilings remain; the wide Fireplaces have been partly blocked, but some retain the Original Chimney-Corner Seats. One Cottage has a 17th-century battened Door, and another Cottage has a panelled door of c.1630.
Tring Road, Southside
(46) Brook House was built probably before 1620, but was enlarged and much altered in the 18th & 19th centuries. The walls are almost entirely of Brick, partly covered with plaster; in the middle of the West end the Gabled Upper Storey projects, and is Timber-framed. At the East end on the 1st-Floor there are blocked windows, with others above them, indicating the former existence of an Attic. In one Room is a wide, open Fireplace with a 3-centred Arch, now restored with cement.
(47) Bank Farm, is a House of 2-Storeys and an Attic, built almost entirely of Brick; the Roofs are Tiled. The Plan is Rectangular, facing West with a small South East Wing. The Main Block apparently formed part of a much larger Building, probably of the 15th century; the West half was re-built with Red & Black Bricks late in the 17th century; the South East Wing was added probably in the 18th century. The remains of the original open Timber Roof are worthy of note, and there are some 16th-century moulded Beams in a Room on the Ground floor. The West Elevation is a good example of late 17th-century design. The West Elevation has a moulded brick string-course over the windows on the Ground Floor, and a plaster Cornice; the Doorway has a plain Hood; 7 of the windows are blocked, and the 4 others have Sash frames; the Attic is lighted by 2 Gabled Dormer windows. The North Elevation is Gabled, and has a Chimney Stack of late 17th-century Brick, partly re-built; on the South Elevation the Main Block has a similar Chimney-Stack & 2 Gables; the Eastern is smaller than the other, and is set back from the face of the wall; it is of Brick & Timber, and probably original; the South-East Wing also has a Gable of Brick & Timber.
Interior: On the Ground floor is a late 17th-century Fireplace, partly blocked; the North East Room, now the Kitchen and a Passage, was probably originally part of the Hall, which was possibly open to the Roof; the Ceiling, with fine moulded Beams, was inserted in the 16th century, but there may have been a dividing Floor originally, as there is a considerable space between the Ceiling and the Floor above it. The 16th-century door of moulded battens opens into a Room South of the Passage. The Principal Staircase is in the middle of the 17th-century Block, and has twisted Balusters of late 17th-century date. On the 1st-Floor, in the North-East Room, are 3 trusses of the original Roof; of the Hall only one Arched Tie-beam remains; it is set low in the present Room, but the Roof is high enough to have been that of an Upper Hall if the original Floor was at the lower level indicated by the 16th-century Ceiling; the East Bay is cut short, and the Roof may have extended further towards the East; the Wind-braces form 2 Tiers of pointed Arches between the Purlins; several Braces have disappeared.
(48) Hazeldean, on the West side of the Road to St Leonards, is a 2-Storeyed House, built probably in the 16th century, but it has been completely altered or re-built and the original plan entirely obscured. The Front block is of 18th-century brick; the North West Wing is partly of late 17th-century brick, partly modern, and at the West end are some re-used bricks, probably of the 16th century; some are 11ins long, others 13½ins, and one brick is 20ins; all are 2¼ins thick. Inside the House is a large, open Fireplace with an Oak Lintel, and there are 3 x 17th-century Doors of moulded battens.
(49) Wellwick Farm, House & Barns, about 1½m West North West of the Church. The House is of 2-Storeys with an Attic & Cellars, partly of Flint & Stone, partly of Brick. It was built in 1616, the date inscribed on 2 of the Chimneys, but is of 16th-century design; in the 18th century the South Front was re-faced with Brick, and in the 19th & 20th centuries the whole building was much restored, and substantial Brick Buttresses were added; the Roof is Tiled. The original Chimney-stacks are noticeable, as they are of good design and well preserved. The Plan is Rectangular, facing South, with a low modern addition on the North East.
From the appearance of the Roof the South Elevation was probably originally Gabled, but now has a plain 18th-century brick Parapet; the central Doorway is of the 17th century, and has moulded Stone Jambs and 4-centred Arch, with sunk spandrels in a square head; above it is a stone panel enclosing a Shield carved in low relief with the Arms, a Chevron between 3 Hats of Estate, over the shield a Helm & Mantle with Crest, now broken, apparently an Arm holding an Arrow. The Cellar has a blocked window. On the 1st-Floor, in the middle, is an original stone window, of 3 lights with moulded Jambs & Mullions, now blocked.
East Elevation: The lower floors are original, of Flint with brick quoins, but the head of the Gable is of brick; on the 2nd-Floor is an original stone window, of 3 lights, the side lights being blocked; in the middle of the Gabled part of the wall is a projecting stepped Chimney-Stack of thin bricks; it has a square base, moulded at the top, and 4 Octagonal Shafts which have moulded Bases & Caps with projecting Spurs at the angles; on the South face is a moulded panel, enclosing a brick slab, with the initials and date EB 1616. The North Elevation is of Flint with brick Dressings, and has 3 Gables with Stone Copings; in the West Bay, on each floor, is a small original stone window, with a moulded string-course as a label above it; on the Upper Floors are similar windows, now blocked; the 2 lower windows are not in line and evidently lighted the Staircase; in the East Bay, on the Ground Floor, is an original Stone window, of 2 lights, one now blocked with brick; the upper windows are similar to those in the West Bay; the cellar has a blocked window. The projecting Chimney-Stack, in the middle Bay, has 3 Shafts in a row, similar to those on the East Elevation, and below them a panel with initials and date A1616W. The West Elevation, at the North end, is of flint mixed with brick; at the South end it has been re-faced with 18th-century brick; on the 2nd-Floor at the North end is an original Stone window of 3 lights, the side lights now blocked; the projecting Chimney-Stack is South of the centre line, and has 4 Shafts similar to those on the East Elevation, apparently re-built with the original bricks.
Interior: In the North East corner of the main block, the Oak Staircase from the Ground Floor to the Attic is original, except a few deal Treads & Risers at the foot; the large central Newel is Rectangular; there are no Handrails or Balusters. The 2nd Staircase is of the 18th century. In the Attic, now disused, is an original Fireplace, with a stop-chamfered Oak Lintel.
Two large Rectangular Barns, South-East of the house, are at right-angles to each other, and form an L-shaped Building, probably erected a few years later than the house. The larger Barn is of 5-Bays, and Timber-framed, with a filling of thin bricks; the East wall is partly restored; the North & South ends are Gabled; the open Roof has braced Tie-beams and is Thatched. The smaller Barn is of similar construction to the other and also has an open Timber Roof. At the West end is a small 2-Storeyed Outbuilding, also of 17th-century Brick & Timber, with original chamfered floor Joists.
(50) The Hale, (located East of Wendover along Hale Lane) nearly 1½ miles East of the Church, is a House of 2-Storeys and an Attic, built probably in the 17th century, but much altered in the 18th century and subsequently. The walls are covered with rough-cast; the Roof is Tiled. One Chimney-Stack is built of thin bricks, probably of the 17th century. Inside the House one room on the Ground Floor has a moulded Ceiling-Beam, and on the 1st-Floor is an Oak Panelled Door of early 17th-century date. The Building was constructed in 1748. It has long associations with the Collet Family including Dean Collet, Founder of St Paul’s School. This was one of the 9 original Public Schools.
(51). Dean Farm, nearly 2 miles South South East of the Church, is a 2-Storeyed house, built probably in the 17th century, but much re-built and altered in the 18th century and subsequently. A little original Timber-framing remains on the East side, but the other walls are entirely of 18th-century or modern brick; the Roof is Tiled. The central Chimney-Stack, of 17th-century brick, has been repaired. Inside the house are some old Ceiling-Beams, one moulded, and a large open Fireplace.
(52) House, now 2 Tenements, near King’s Wood, about 2¼ miles South of the Church, is of 2-Storeys, built in the 17th century, but subsequently much altered and enlarged; the Roofs are Tiled. The North & South walls retain the original Timber-framing, but most of the brick filling is of the 18th century or modern. Each Tenement has old Ceiling-Beams and a wide, open Fireplace.
(53) The Marquis of Granby Inn, at World’s End, 1 mile North of the Town, is of 2-Storeys and an Attic, built probably late in the 16th century and encased in brick in the 18th century; modern extensions have been added at the South end and at the back. Inside the house, one room has an open Fireplace, and the original Timbers are visible in some of the walls; the Roof has heavy Tie-beams and wind-braced Purlins. There are some Brick & Timber buildings of uncertain date North of the house.
(54) Grim’s Ditch (see also Aston Clinton, Bradenham, Great & Little Hampden, Monks & Princes Risborough). The Ditch first appears in the Parish in a Pasture Field South-West of Lane’s End, and runs through Oaken Grove, where the Rampart is 6ft above the bottom of the Ditch, which is 38ft wide. The course of the Ditch can be faintly seen in the Field on the SouthWest and becomes quite distinct in Baldwin’s Wood, where dew-ponds have formed in the Ditch; at the corner of Mercer’s Wood it turns due South. and dies out at the end of Great Widmoor Wood.
(55) Trackways and small Tumulus on Bacombe Hill, 5/8 mile West of the Church.
(1) Parish Church of St. Mary, a ⅓ mile South South East of the Village, is built of Flint with Stone Dressings; the Roofs are Tiled, except those of the Aisles and Tower, which are covered with Lead. Of the Building which existed in the 13th century the only remaining details are the Capitals & Bases of the West Columns & Responds of the Nave Arcades. The Church was entirely re-built in the 1st half of the 14th century and then consisted of the Chancel, Nave with North & South Aisles, apparently a North Vestry and the West Tower. The Chancel was repaired in 1839, and in 1869 the whole building was considerably restored, and the North Chapel, Vestry & Organ-Chamber were built, the South Chapel and the North & South Porches were added, the Chancel Arcades, the North doorway of the North Aisle, and the West Buttresses of the Tower were renewed.
The 14th-century Capitals of the Nave Arcades, the South East window of the Chancel, and the South doorway of the South Aisle are all worthy of note.
Architectural Description: The Chancel (39ft on Northside, 40ft on South Side, by 19ft at East end, and 17ft at West end) is not central with the Nave, and inclines towards the North. The East window of 3 lights is modern, except the internal Jambs and chamfered 2-centred rear arch. In the North wall, at the East end, is a 14th-century window of 2 lights, with a moulded external label; all the tracery is modern: West of the window, opening into the Vestry, is a doorway, probably of the 14th century, with moulded Jambs and 2-centred arch: the West end of the wall is pierced by a modern arcade of 2-Bays; on the wall between the doorway and the Arcade is a 14th-century moulded String-course with a modern head-stop at the East end. In the South wall, at the East end, is a 14th-century window of 2 trefoiled ogee lights and tracery in a 2-centred head, with an external label which has large foliated stops; West of the window is a small 14th-century Doorway with a moulded 2-centred Arch dying into modern Jambs; the West end of the wall is pierced by a modern Arcade of 2-Bays; between the Arcade and Doorway is a String-course similar to that on the North wall. The early 14th-century Chancel Arch is of 2 chamfered orders, and was originally 2-centred, but has sunk to a slightly 4-centred form; the Jambs have each 3 attached Shafts on a moulded Base; one Base is modern, and the other restored; the Capitals are moulded. The North Chapel, Vestry and Organ-Chamber (27ft x 16½ft at the East end, by 18ft at the West end) are modern, but 2 14th-century windows have been re-set in the East wall and one in the North wall; they are almost entirely restored, except parts of the Jambs and the moulded rear Arches; the windows in the East wall and the Eastern window in the North wall are each of 2 lights; the Western window in the North wall is a single cinque-foiled light in a square head and is less restored than the others. The South Chapel is modern, but the East window is of the 14th century, re-set and much restored, the internal Jambs and rear Arch have been re-cut; it was probably the East window of the South Aisle. The Nave (64½ft x 18ft) has North & South Arcades of 5-Bays; the 14th-century Arches are 2-centred, and of 2 moulded Orders, with moulded labels in the Nave, which have carved Head-stops; some of the stops are modern; the columns are square in plan, with an attached segmental Shaft on each face; the Responds are similar to the Columns; the East Respond and the 1st 3 columns of each Arcade are of the 14th century, and have moulded Bases, much restored, and Bell-capitals, finely carved with Foliage of various designs and small grotesque heads, etc.; the 4th column in each Arcade and the South-West Respond have 13th-century moulded circular Bases on square Plinths, and moulded Octagonal Capitals, the base of the North Column has been restored; the North-West Respond has a 13th-century Base and a moulded 14th-century Capital. In the upper part of the North-East Respond is the 4-centred doorway of the former Rood-Loft, probably of 15th or early 16th-century date. The Clearstorey has, on each side, 5 windows, each of 2 lights in a square head, entirely modern except the internal splays. The North Aisle (10ft wide) has, in the North wall, 4 windows of early 14th-century date, each of 2 uncusped lights and a circular quatrefoil in a 2-centred head, with moulded external labels and moulded rear arches, all much restored externally and the original work re-cut; between the 3rd and 4th windows is a modern Doorway. The South Aisle (10ft wide) has in the South wall, 4 windows, all originally of the 14th century, but now entirely restored except the inner Jambs and moulded rear Arches, and some Stones in the external Jambs and Sills; between the 3rd & 4th windows is a doorway of c.1320, with richly moulded Jambs and 2-centred Arch, enriched with a row of carved ball flowers and 4-leafed ornaments set alternately; the chamfered inner member and the Jambs are almost entirely restored; the moulded external label is original, the carved Head-stop on the Westside is modern and the other has been re-cut. The West Tower (13½ft x 13ft) is of 2-Stages, the Lower Stage being of 2-Storeys, with a South-East. stair-turret, and a modern embattled Parapet; at the foot of the Parapet on the South wall is a late 15th-century Grotesque Head, formerly a Gargoyle, but the mouth is blocked. The 14th-century Tower Arch is 2-centred and of 3 chamfered Orders, the innermost Order stilted; the Jambs have 3 clustered Shafts with moulded Capitals, the South Jamb being entirely modern. The West window is modern, except the chamfered Jambs and the moulded external label with return stops, which are of the 14th century; the rear Arch is also original and of 2 moulded and chamfered orders, the outer order being a 2-centred drop arch, the inner Order 4-centred. In the S. wall, opening into the Stair-Turret is a 2-centred doorway with stop-chamfered Jambs. The 2nd Storey has, in the North wall, a 14th-century Lancet window with shafted Jambs, considerably restored; in the South wall is a Lancet window of the same date, with chamfered Jambs & Head, and a moulded rear Arch; in the East wall, visible internally, is a square opening with chamfered Jambs, now blocked. The 2nd Stage has, in each wall, a window of 2 trefoiled lights and tracery in a 2-centred head, modern externally; in the East wall there is also a small pointed opening with a small Bell hung in it. On the North wall, partly hidden by the Clock, is a stone slab inscribed, IGRA 1708.
6-Bells: 1st, 1633, 3rd, 1631, 4th, 1633, 5th, 1623, all by Ellis Knight; Bell-frame, old.
In South Aisle – on South wall,
(1) of William Bradschawe, 1537, and Alice his wife, kneeling figures, with names inscribed above them; below them figures of 9 children, with name of each child, below children, names of 23 grandchildren.
In Vestry – on the South wall,
(2) small scroll inscribed in black-letter, ‘Ihū: thy: Grace’ Locker: in East Jamb of doorway of Bell-chamber, with rebated Jambs and 4-centred head.
Monuments and Floor-slabs
Floor-slabs—in the Tower –
(1) to William Hakewill, ‘sometime Solicitor to Queen Anne‘, 1655, inscription and Arms;
(2) to Mrs Elizabeth Hakewil, 1652;
(3) to—(name illegible), 1648;
(4) to John Stace 1661, and —, wife of John Stace, 1662, Inscription & Arms;
(5) to Henry Playstow, 1674-5
(6) to Thomas Machell, 1698, another illegible.
Piscinæ: in the Chancel, with roll-moulded Sill, Jambs & shouldered head, circular basin, 13th-century: in South Aisle, with moulded Jambs and trefoiled head, chamfered shelf and plain circular Basin, 14th-century.
Plate: includes Cup of 1569; Cup & Cover Paten, Cover dated 1571, Hall-marks almost obliterated, Bowl altered and new rim added.
Stoup: near South Doorway of South Aisle, remains, with chamfered Lintel, circular Basin.
Miscellanea: near South Doorway, built into the wall, outside, fragment of carved stone, 13th-century.
The Wendover Arm of the Grand Junction Canal was built between 1793 & 1797 primarily as a feeder for the Tring Summit. However, the Canal also served Local Industries. The Building of the Canal involved a number of changes to the Form & Plan of the Town, including the destruction of the existing Water Mill & Mill Stream. The feeder Streams for the Canal are an important characteristic and visual feature of the Town today.