In 1877 there was the building of an Anglican Chapel at Kingston Blount, where dissent was strongest. It was then still a Chapel of Aston Rowant.
The Chapel of St John in Kingston Blount, is built of red brick with a Roof of Broseley Tiles and consisting originally of Chancel, Nave, North Porch, and central Bell-cot was Consecrated in 1877. The Architect was E A (later Sir Aston) Webb, the Builder James Holland.
Its Site was donated by A H Clerke Brown, the Lord of the Kingston Blount Manor, and it was built with money given by various Parishioners, including Clerke Brown, Henry Hamp & William Fletcher, and by the Oxford Diocesan & London Church Building Societies.
Gifts for the Furnishing of the Church included Candlesticks, an Altar Table and Altar Cloth, and the Bell. Henry Hamp gave the Painted Glass in the 3-light East Window. In 1887 the South Transept was added at his expense; Webb was again the Architect. The Church was lit by Oil Lamps until 1945, when Electricity was installed.
A Tablet in the Church commemorates the Gift by Henry Hamp of £1,000 in Trust for the Endowment of the Church and of the Performance of Divine Service. He also left a Bequest in his Will of £200 towards the Fabric. There is a Memorial Lancet Window, with Painted Glass, and an inscription below it to Alexander Penrose Forbes (d.1875), Curate of the Parish in 1844 and later Bishop of Brechin (Forfar), who gave £500 to the Church. In the Churchyard is a Cross erected in 1921 as a War Memorial.