On 20th March 1478 Elizabeth Woodville, Queen Consort of Edward IV, Granted the Manor of Great Haseley in Oxfordshire to the College of St George’s Chapel, Windsor, together with the Manors of Bassetsbury & Long Crendon in Buckinghamshire & Pyrton in Oxfordshire, and the Fee Farm of the Town of High Wycombe.
In 1086 the Parish’s 4 Manors were assessed at 30-Hides & a Yardland. The largest was the 16-Hide Great Haseley Manor, which was held by high-status Secular Lords (including Members of the Royal Family) until 1478 when it was Granted to St George’s Chapel, Windsor. A separate Lordship at Latchford was carved from the Great Haseley Estate in the 13thC, remaining distinct until the Boulton Family recombined the 2 in 1880. The smaller Little Haseley Manor (9-Hides in 1086) formed a separate Estate by 1002, and in 1391 was bought by the Barentins of Chalgrove, who made it their Principal Seat. That too came into Common Ownership with Latchford & Great Haseley during the 19thC, and in 1910 the Boultons‘ combined Estate in the Parish exceeded 1,500 acres.
The 4-Hide Great Rycote Manor belonged to local Knightly Families throughout the Middle Ages, and in 1539 was acquired by the prominent Royal Servant Sir John Williams. He created Rycote Park, and was succeeded by the Norrises, Barons of Rycote, and the Berties, Earls of Abingdon. The tiny Little Rycote Manor (1%-Hides in 1086) was merged with Great Rycote in 1540.
Great Haseley Manor
In 1066 Great Haseley was held by Edward the Confessor’s wife Queen Edith (d.1075), presumably as part of the Benson Royal Estate. Before 1086 it passed to the Norman Baron Miles Crispin (d.1107), becoming part of the Honour of Wallingford; Crispin apparently enfeoffed his Steward Gilbert Pipard, and the Manor remained in the Pipard Family throughout the 12th & 13thCs. In 1300 it accounted for 2 of the 6 Knights Fees which Ralph Pipard, 1st Lord Pipard, held of the Honour.
In 1301 Ralph sold Great Haseley to Hugh Despenser the Elder, after whose Execution in 1326 it was briefly assigned to Edward ll’s wife Isabella. In 1327 it was granted to Edward III’s uncle Thomas of Brotherton, but in 1332 returned to the King, who Granted it to Thomas’s Nephew William de Bohun (d.1360), later Earl of Northampton. William’s son Humphrey (d. 1373) was succeeded by 2 young daughters, of whom the eldest (Eleanor) married Edward III’s son Thomas of Woodstock; he obtained possession in 1374, and in 1380 the couple retained the Manor in a Partition of the Bohun Estates. Thomas died in 1397 after being charged with Treason, but Eleanor held the Manor until her death in 1399. In 1400 it was assigned to her and Thomas’s daughter Anne (d.1438), who married Edmund (d.1403), Earl of Stafford.
In 1421 the Bohun Estates were re-Partitioned, Great Haseley passing to Henry V as heir of Humphrey’s younger daughter Mary, and becoming annexed to the Duchy of Lancaster. After Henry’s death in 1422 it was assigned to his Widow Catherine (d.1437), and in 1444 to Margaret of Anjou. In 1467 Edward IV assigned it to his wife Elizabeth Woodville.
Elizabeth surrendered Great Haseley to the King the following year, but in 1478 (with his Authorisation) Granted it to the Dean & Canons of St George’s Chapel, Windsor. They retained it until their Estates were surrendered to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners in 1867. From the 17thC the Manor was often Leased to Owners of neighbouring Latchford, and in 1880 (when it covered c.600a) it was bought by the Lessee M P W Boulton (d.1894) of Great Tew, who also owned Latchford & Little Haseley. Boulton’s son M E Boulton died unmarried in 1914 and left the combined Manors to his cousin A J Muirhead (d.1939), whose sister sold the bulk of the Estate (2,760a) to Major Godfrey Miller Mundy of Andover (Hants) in 1949. Thereafter the Estate was broken up.