The Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin consists of a Chancel measuring internally 19ft x 14ft 6in, North Vestry, Nave 43ft x 19ft, North Aisle, South Porch and a West Tower 12ft x 11ft 6in. The Church probably dates from the 12th century, but of the original building, the Nave alone remains. About the middle of the 14th century the Chancel was rebuilt; the West Tower probably was added at the same time but was entirely rebuilt with the exception of the Tower Arch early in the 16th century. The South Porch was probably added late in the 17th century and the North Aisle or Chapel in the 18th century. The entire Church has been much restored and the North Vestry is modern. The walling is of flint with dressings of Clunch with the exception of the North Aisle and South Porch, which are built of red brick; the Chancel is covered externally with rough-cast and the Roofs are tiled.
The outer Jambs and Mullions of the 3-light East window of the Chancel may be contemporary with its rebuilding in the 14th century, but all besides this is modern. The 2 windows in the South wall are each of 2 lights with a Traceried 2-centred Head. With the exception of the Rear Arch the Eastern window has been almost entirely renewed, but the Western window, though restored in part, is original 14th-century work. Between these windows is a much-restored Doorway of the same date with an ogee Head. At the South-east is a contemporary Piscina Niche with a trefoiled Head; the Basin has disappeared. The only feature in the North wall is a modern Arch opening into the Vestry. The square Jambs of the Chancel Arch are of coarse Limestone with 12th-century tooling, the Arch itself, which is of a single 2-centred chamfered order, dying into the jambs, being of 14th-century date. There is a small 14th-century trefoiled ogee light reset in the East wall of the Vestry.
The 18th-century North Arcade of the Nave consists of 2 semicircular-headed Arches; to the West of the Arcade is a doorway with an external 2-centred chamfered Head of 13th-century date, but with a semicircular Rear Arch and Jambs of the 12th century. The South wall has 2 modern windows, a late 14th-century single light with a cinquefoiled ogee Head, and a blocked light possibly of 12th-century date, found in 1900 to the East of the South Doorway. The latter is of the 13th century and has a 2-centred head of 2 moulded Orders.
The West Tower is of 2 low Stages with a late 17th-century embattled Parapet of brickwork, a moulded Plinth, diagonal Western Buttresses, and square Buttresses to the East wall, a few of the lower quoins of which are of 13th-century date. The Tower Arch resembles the Chancel Arch but it is entirely of 14th-century date. The whole of the remaining detail of the Tower is of the early part of the 16th century. The West Doorway has moulded Jambs and a depressed 4-centred Arch under a square Head with an external Label restored with brickwork; above it there is a square-headed window of two 4-centred lights. The upper Stage has in the South wall below the Bell-chamber a single light with a 4-centred Arch in a square Head, while the Bell-chamber itself is lighted on all four sides by square-headed windows of two plain lights. The walls have been repaired internally with 17th-century brick-work. Upon the Eastside can be seen the original weathering of the Nave roof, the eaves of which appear to have been lowered. The Roof to the Chancel is modern, but a few old Sprockets remain under the Eaves. The Nave Roof, which is probably of the 14th century, has Collar-beams and Tie-beams with King-posts from which the Collar-beams are Strutted.
The Font has a 12th-century bowl of a deep cup-shaped form mounted on a modern base. The Lead lining of the Bowl has the date 1746 scratched on it. A 15th-century bench is preserved in the Vestry and 5 others of the same date remain in the Nave. Fixed to the latter there are 4 Posts or Newels and a length of Balustrading, parts of the 17th-century Gallery taken down in 1900; the Communion Rails are formed from the same material.
There is an early 13th-century Stone Coffin in the Tower, with a raised Cross on the lid, which is broken in 2 pieces.
There is a Ring of 3 Bells; the Treble by Henry Knight, 1670, the 2nd by Ellis Knight, 1628, the 3rd by Thomas Lester, 1744. There is a Sanctus Bell of 1729 by R Phelps.
The Communion Plate includes a Cup of 1565 and a Cover Paten of 1637.
The Register dates from 1582, but about 40 years are missing previous to 1660, and there are several other gaps.
The Church of St Saviour, Turville Park, completed in 1898, is built of flint in the Gothic Style and consists of Chancel and Nave. It serves as a Chapel of Ease to the Parish Church.
Niel de Marston gave Turville Church to St Albans Abbey, and a Vicarage had been Ordained before 1218. This Gift was confirmed by Henry II, by Richard I in 1198 and by Edward I in 1301. The Church was valued at £8 yearly in 1291 and at £11 13s 9¼d (subject to a payment of £1 13s. 4d. towards the Abbot’s Pension) in 1535. At the Dissolution part of the Advowson passed with the Rectory, of which John Doyley died seised in 1570. This share follows the same Descent as the Manor of Turville Court (qv). Mr Hewitt has the right of Presentation for one turn out of 3. The remaining share in the Advowson passed to the Dormers with the Manor of Turville St Albans and was split up with that Estate between 1640 and 1721. At the latter date, the St Albans Manor interest was owned by Francis Styles and Nathaniel Carter and has followed the same Descent as their share in this Manor (qv). Mr Ovey and Lord Camoys each Present one turn in every 3.
The Glebe Land was secured to Turville Vicarage by Bishop Hugh of Wells. In 1680 it consisted of 34 acres, afterwards increased to 40 acres.
Cicilie Rools, as appeared from a Tablet in the Church, gave £200 for the poor forever. A Rent-charge of £8 issuing out of the Turville Court Estate is distributed in money to about 40 recipients in respect of this Gift.
In 1822 Ann Butlin, by her will proved in the PCC, bequeathed £50 for the Purchase of a Stove for the Parish Church and £50 for Coals for the same. The latter Legacy is represented by £46 15s Consols.
In 1869 Benjamin Bartlett, by will proved 14 August, bequeathed £500 Stock, now £500 Consols, the annual dividends, amounting to £12 10s, to be applied for the benefit of the Church of England School at North End. His Will provided that if it ceased to be a Church of England School the money was to be applied to the Church School in Turville Village. North End is now a Council School and the money is used for Turville.
In 1885 Miss Elizabeth Tempro, by Will proved at Oxford 20 March, bequeathed £894 8s 2d Stock, the Dividends to be applied towards Church Expenses and Repairs and Maintenance of the Church. In 1900 the sum of £406 5s 6d Stock was sold out to provide funds towards the restoration and enlargement of the Church. By an order of the Charity Commissioners of 22 January 1901 the residue of the Stock, namely, £488 2s 8d Consols, was set aside with the Official Trustees to replace the amount Sold in 25 years.
The same Testatrix by her will likewise bequeathed £151 15s Stock, now a like sum of Consols, the annual Dividends, amounting to £3 15s 8d, to be applied for the Benefit of the Poor. The distribution is made in money.
In 1896 Mrs Harriet Beisly, by Will proved at London 11 February, bequeathed a Legacy, now represented by £352 7s 5d Consols, the Dividends, amounting to £8 16s a year, to be distributed in Coals at Christmas.
The same Testatrix likewise bequeathed a similar Legacy, also represented by £352 7s 5d Consols, the Dividends of £8 16s to be distributed in Coals at Christmas among the Poor at North End. The Charities are duly applied.
The several sums of stock are held by the Official Trustees