KB Methodist Chapel

MethodistChapelKB
Kinston Blount Primitive Methodist Chapel Est.1859 – Now a Private House

By 1860 there was a Primitive Methodist Chapel in Kingston Blount at No.2 High Street.  It belonged to the Primitive Methodists until their Union with the Wesleyans in 1932  and was the then Methodist Chapel. It was on the Thame and Watlington Circuit, and had 11 active Members, and was visited by the Minister of Watlington.

The Missionaries of Primitive Methodism 1st arrived in Oxfordshire in 1821 intent on saving the Souls, refreshing the Spirit. and transforming the lives of the people of the County. In 1932 Primitive Methodism was subsumed into a nationally reunited Methodist Church.  In the intervening years, local Primitive Methodists at some stage established Meeting Houses or Chapels in over 70 places in Oxfordshire. These Architecturally modest Buildings are important evidence of the impact of this new form of Religion. Their creation represented an enormous challenge and local effort for a Movement associated overwhelmingly with Working-class Membership and limited material means.  However, buildings are only part of the story and indeed never figured in some places where Primitive Methodism nevertheless played an important part in the lives of individuals, households and groups and made a marked impression on their neighbours. This was a Movement whose whole purpose was to bring its message of ruin,  repentance, salvation and subsequent holy living to people. where ever they were, regardless of Class or Status and through the language and imagery of their own kind, Lay-men & women who were the Missionaries and Preachers. It was, therefore, a Movement which overrode the boundaries of the Established Religious Landscape. Meetings were in the Open Air, in Cottages, Houses or Barns, perhaps eventually in Chapels.  In some places, followers travelled to neighbouring Settlements to Worship or continued with their House Churches. 

MethodistChapelsInOxon
Methodist Chapels in Oxfordshire 1851

JohnWesley

John Wesley studied in Oxford University (England) to become a Priest.  He founded the “Holy Club” for improving the standard of Leadership in the Anglican Church.
Live frugally
Simply
Give generously to the poor
Attend Church Service
Rigorous in daily Devotions
Bible Reading and other means of Grace (Communion, Testimonies, etc)

Wesley envisioned the Methodist Movement to be a Movement of revitalisation. The Movement was to revitalise not only the Church of England without – but also the hearts of men and women within. The Grace of God to be found in the means of grace and the life lived in the love of Christ are seen as the essential elements of Wesley’s Theology. Albert Outler has stated, “The heart of Wesley’s gospel was always its lively sense of God’s Grace at work at every level of Creation and History in Persons and Communities” Their Methods of trying to draw closer to Christ and improve the reputation of Ministers led others to call them “Methodists.”

Wesley’s Theology transcended the past Divisions of the Church including Catholic and Protestant as well as East and West. One can find in his writings an eclectic collection of ideas and concepts from all corners of the Christian Church.  One can read his sermons and find sources from the early Church, the Eastern Divines, the Catholic Mystics, and the Protestant Reformers. Kenneth Collins writes: “In light of this, it is tempting, no doubt, to emphasize one of these poles to the detriment of the other such that our reading of Wesley will appear either as a “Protestant” or as a “Catholic” one.  However, it is best to forgo this attempt and instead to rejoice in the breadth of Wesley’s Theological perspective and in the nuances of his carefully crafted Theology.  In doing so, not only will we be able to see, perhaps, a larger Wesley than we have previously imagined, not only will we be equipped with the Theological wherewithal for rich dialogue with a diversity of Theological Traditions, but we will be also be free, most important of all, to bear Witness to the hope and promise of a distinctively Wesleyan via salutis” [way of salvation].