The Church of St Michael having fallen into disrepair in 1765 the old Nave was pulled down, with the Western Tower, leaving only the Chancel standing. The present Church consists of the Mutilated remains of the Chancel 45ft x 20ft, with a Western Tower built from the old material of the Nave. It is lighted by 5 windows, all of the same design and of 15th century date, though somewhat restored. They are of 3 cinquefoiled Lights with smaller trefoiled lights over and 2-centred heads. At the West end of the south wall is the blocked opening of a Squint, at one time opening into the South Aisle of the old Church. A description of this Church is preserved in a letter addressed by Dr Browne Willis to Mr John Grubbe, as having consisted, in 1728, of a Chancel, a Nave with a blocked South Arcade, and an embattled Tower; it extended to about as far West as the present Stables of Horsenden House.
The Tower is of 2 Stages with an embattled Parapet. There is one Bell in the Tower dated 1582. The Belfry openings are square-headed, and there is a West window of 2 trefoiled Lights, with a plain chamfered West Doorway beneath. The Font is modern, Octagonal, and of 15th-century detail. The Roof is modern, and also all the fittings, with the exception of the upper part of a 15th-century screen, which is planted against the West wall. It is divided into rather narrow trefoiled openings by stout chamfered mullions, and the Spandrels are filled with alternating Rosettes and Leopards’ faces.
On the walls are a number of memorial’s of the Grubbe Family, the earliest to Bathewell Grubbe, 1666, the wife of John Grubbe, who died in 1700, and to whom there is another Tablet.
The Church Plate consists of a Cup of 1661 and a small 18th-century standing Paten, of which the hall-marks are illegible.
There is only one old Book of the Registers, which contains Baptisms from 1663 to 1809, Burials from 1637, and Marriages from 1707 to 1754, the latter entries being continued in a Printed Book from 1754 to 1841.
The Advowson of the Church has been held by the Lords of the Manor since 1210 when it passed from John de Horsenden to Robert de Braybrcok. In 1660, however, the Bishop of Salisbury Collated to the Rectory, presumably during the forfeiture of Sir John Denham’s lands.
The Living is a Rectory, and the Patron was Mrs Leonard Jaques, former Lady of the Manor.
There are no Endowed Charities in this Parish.