Latchford Village was severely shrunken by the early 16thC, its depopulation probably resulting at least in part from late Medieval Inclosure. By the 18thC, it had contracted still further to just 3 Farms, well-preserved Earthworks along the Roadside revealing its former extent.
Lordship of Latchford
A sub-Lordship in Latchford was held from Great Haseley Manor by 1279 when it was reckoned at ⅓ Knights Fee & included Demesne and numerous free Tenancies. The 16th-century Antiquary John Leland claimed that it was created by one of the Pipard Lords of Great Haseley, to endow a landless younger son who had been Knighted after fighting the Scots; if so the Grantor may have been Henry Pipard, whose grandson Alexander held the Fee from Roger Pipard (the intermediary Lord) ‘by Ancient Conquest‘ in 1279. By 1397 the Estate was reckoned at ½ Knight’s Fee, and in 1496 (when described as a Manor) at ¼ Knights Fee. Probable later holders included Henry (fl.1306), William (fl.1374–1403), and Richard Pipard (fl.1407–28), whose heiress Jane married John Badby. The Badby’s daughter Katharine married William Lenthall (d.1496) of Herts, who settled at Latchford and was succeeded by his son Thomas (d.1550), grandson William (d.1587), and by that William’s grandson Edmund, who inherited while still a Minor. Edmund died in 1643 leaving a Widow but no children, and the Manor passed to his cousin Sir John Lenthall (d.1669), formerly of Bletchingdon. John (buried at Great Haseley) was succeeded by his grandson William, who died without heirs in 1702 having Mortgaged Latchford to Sir John Cutler (d.1693).
Under the Mortgage arrangements, Latchford passed to Cutler’s son-in-law Charles Robartes (d.1723), Earl of Radnor, who in 1706 sold it to George Blackall (d.1709). Blackall belonged to a local Family which acquired extensive Estates in the Haseley area, and at his death owned land in several Counties. His son Thomas succeeded while still a Minor and died in 1786, leaving his Estate to Trustees; thereafter Latchford seems to have passed with the neighbouring Great Milton Estate to John Blackall (d.1790), his son John (d.1803), & grandson John (d.1829), who bought Little Haseley Manor. Following the youngest John’s death, the combined Estates passed to his cousin Walter Long of Preshaw (Hants), who in 1847 sold Latchford and several other local Estates to M P W Boulton (d.1894) of Great Tew. Boulton added Great Haseley Manor in 1880, and thereafter the Estates descended together. Separate freeholds in Latchford totalled c.684a in 1910 when the main Owners (Boulton excepted) were the Earl of Macclesfield, Boulters Charity Trust, & Elizabeth Lewin.
The Chief House for the Estate appears to have been Latchford House, which was built or rebuilt in the 16thC presumably for the Lenthalls. Probably this was the House in Latchford Taxed on 7 hearths in 1665, although if so it was then occupied by Thomas Harding, perhaps because the Lenthalls had moved to Great Haseley.
The Houses earliest (16thC) part comprises a 2-Bay, partly Timber-framed Range with Brick & Plaster infill, which includes a cross-passage Doorway with a 4-centred wooden Head & recessed Spandrels, a small 3-light oak-mullioned window, and, at the rear, remains of a Jetty. The clasped-Purlin Roof has curved Windbraces. An abutting 2-Storey Range was added in the early 17thC, presumably replacing an earlier Range; built of Limestone rubble with Ashlar Quoins, it retains a small ovolo-moulded casement at the front. Both Ranges share a large central Stack, with 3 diagonal brick Shafts built on the Ridge of the connecting Roof. Further single-Storey Ranges were added in the 18th & 19thCs when some of the windows were replaced with Sashes. The Interior retains a 17thC Tudor-arched Fireplace & some 17thC Panelling.
Manor House, now House. 16thC, early 17thC and early 18thC. Limestone rubble with some Ashlar Quoins, and Timber-framing with brick & plaster infill; old plain-tile Roof. 2 linked gable-fronted Ranges with subsidiary Ranges. 2-Bay 16thC range of 2-Storeys to left is Timber-framed at 1st-Floor, with curved Bracing, and retains a small 3-light Oak mullioned window to left return wall and remains of a Jetty at the Rear. The Rear entrance of the cross-passage to right has a 4-centred wooden Head with recessed spandrels. The early 17thC Range to right is of 2-Storeys plus Attics. The walls have Ashlar Quoins and one small ovolo-moulded 17thC casement survives at the Front. The irregular fenestration includes early 19thC sashes with Brick Dressings to right and rear walls and a blocked Gabled window. Both Ranges share a large central Stack with 3 diagonal brick Shafts on the Ridge of the connecting Roof. Early 18thC Range of single-Storey plus Attics, projecting to Front on left, and 19thC single-Storey Range to left are much altered.
Interior: 16thC Range has some cambered doorheads and a clasped-Purlin Roof with curved Windbraces. Early 17thC Tudor-arched moulded Stone Fireplace at 1st-Floor is an insertion into the framing. 17thC Wing has some Oak panelling, beams with ovolo moulding & ogee stops, some heavy chamfered and stopped joists and a large open Fireplace with remains of moulded stone sides. Connecting Roof has Butt Purlins and may be 18thC. Timber-framed Range may be part of the large Manor house of the Family of Speaker Lenthall.