Estone, (11thC); Aston, Eston, (13thC); Aston Clynton, (14thC)
The Division of Bucks now known as the Hundred of Aylesbury is formed by the Union of the 3 Ancient Hundreds of Elesberie (Aylesbury), Risberge, (Risborough) & Stane, (Stone), and still retains formally the Appellation of the “Three Hundreds of Aylesbury.”
Aston Clinton is a large Parish, very long & narrow in shape, lying on the Northern slopes of the Chiltern Hills. The highest point, 817-ft above the Ordnance Datum, is near the most Northerly of the 2 Chiverey Farms. The Hamlet of St Leonards in the extreme South-East corner of the Parish lies over 700-ft above the Ordnance Datum, but the Village of Aston Clinton and a large part of the Parish lies in the Vale of Aylesbury, its height varying from 200-ft to 300-ft. The subsoil is Upper Greensand & Gault and the surface stiff Loam. The Population was mainly occupied in Agriculture, and the Parish contains 1,257½ acres of Arable Land and 1,621½ of permanent Grass. The Parish is not well Timbered except at the Park and about the Village. Straw-Plaiting used to be an important Industry in the Village, but there is now but little demand for the Plait and the Industry gradually died.
The Straw of certain varieties of Wheat cultivated in that area is, in favourable Seasons, possessed of a fine bright colour and due to tenacity & strength. The Straw is cut as in ordinary Harvesting, but is allowed to dry in the sun, before Binding. Subsequently Straws are selected from the Sheaves, and of these the Pipes of the 2 upper joints are taken for Plaiting. The pipes are assorted into sizes by passing them through graduated openings in a grilled Wireframe, and those of good colour are bleached by the fumes of Sulphur. Spotted & discoloured Straws are dyed either in Pipe or in Plait. The Plaiters work up the material in a damp state, either into whole Straw or split Straw Plaits. Split Straws are prepared with the aid of a small instrument having a projecting point which enters the Straw Pipe, and from which radiate the number of knife-edged Cutters into which the Straw is to be Split. The Straws were put through a small Mangle to flatten them. They were then Braided to produce a woven Strip which was sold on to the Makers of Hats, Baskets & other Wares. The Plaiting was carried out by women & children who were taught the skills in Plait Schools. At its peak in the early 19thC a woman could earn more by Plaiting than a man could earn on the Land.
The Aylesbury Branch of the Grand Junction Canal passes through the Parish, along the South-east Boundary of Aston Clinton Park, where there is a Spring of Water and an Ornamental Lake. One of the many Streams that Water the Vale flows through the North of the Parish and forms the Moat at Vaches or Vatches Farm. Another Branch of the Grand Junction Canal crosses the Parish but is now disused.
In the Chiltern Hills the Chiltern Hills Water Company had its Waterworks, and there is a large Reservoir near Aston Hill, but during the early 20thC it came under the control of the Bucks Water Board. They Managed the Site until 1975, when responsibility was passed to the Thames Water Authority, which in turn was partially Privatised in 1989 when the Ownership was transferred to Thames Water Plc, who continue to draw water from the Site.
Dancers End Pumping Station, Bottom Road, Dancers End, Buckland, Bucks. South of Dancers End, past the majority of Residential Properties, past the 3 Reservoir Complex to the East of the Road. The Pumping Station is in the Valley bottom.
The High Road from Aylesbury to Tring, following the Course of Akeman Street, runs through the Parish and forms the Main Street of the Village of Aston Clinton, the Houses being mostly modern. The Lower Icknield Way runs from Weston Turville to the Village & the Upper Icknield Way also crosses the Parish; a Branch Road connecting with Akeman Street and the Upper Icknield Way runs South-East through the length of the Parish, by St Leonards Hamlet and on to Cholesbury. No Line of Railway passes through the Parish, and the nearest Station is 3¼-miles away at Stoke Mandeville on the Metropolitan Extension Railway. The Common Fields of Aston Clinton were Inclosed by Act of Parliament, the Award being dated 14th November 1816. There is a Common to the North of the Hamlet of St Leonards. A few Houses, 2 Farms & an Inn form the Hamlet of Chiverey, preserving the name of an Ancient Manorial Division of Aston Clinton. Various Archaeological discoveries have been made in the Parish; miscellaneous Neolithic Instruments have been dug up as well as late Celtic Pottery & a Roman Amphora. Aston Clinton House, the only house of importance in the Parish, the Residence of the Dowager Lady de Rothschild, is Modern, and is surrounded by finely-Timbered Grounds. The Church stands on the edge of the Park in an ample Churchyard at the Entrance to which is a counterpoise Lichgate.
Before the Norman Conquest, the Manor of Aston Clinton was Held by Wlwen, a ‘Man’ of King Edward. Wlwen is a woman’s name, and she seems to have been the predecessor of Edward de Salisbury, the Domesday Tenant, in all his Lands in Bucks. He was the Standard-Bearer of Henry I at the Battle of Brenville in 1100 and was made Earl of Salisbury. Whether he alienated it during his lifetime or whether it descended to his heir Walter de Salisbury does not appear, but at the end of the 12thC, it belonged to the Family of Clinton, who held it by Grand Serjeanty.
In 1193 & 1194 William de Clinton rendered Account of 10- Marks for having Seisin of his Land at Aston until the King’s return to England so that he was probably waiting to do Homage to the King for Lands of Inheritance. In this case, they had been held presumably by his father Jordan de Clinton. William died before 1196 and the Sheriff of the County rendered Account for his Lands in Aston. In 1200 King John Granted to Hugh de Haversham the Custody of his Lands & Heir and the marriage of the Heir, but the next year this was cancelled since Isabella de Clinton gave 300-Marks for the same privileges. She answered for Aston for several years and was probably the Widow of William de Clinton. His Heir was his son, another William de Clinton, who is mentioned in a list of Tenants in Chief in 1210–12. In 1216, however, the Manor was in the hands of the King, although Isabella was still alive, and while William de Clinton was still a Minor. The Manor of Aston was Granted in that year by King John to Walerand Teutonicus for the support of the Castle of Berkhampstead. Before 1219 William de Clinton appears to have come of age and obtained possession of Aston. His name appears for the last time in 1228, and the next Tenant of the Manor seems to have been Nicia de Clinton, who was Holding it in 1240-41. Her relationship to William de Clinton does not appear; but it seems probable that she was his Widow, and having been jointly Seised with him, held the whole Manor for her life. She died in or before 1246 when she was succeeded by her son William de Clinton, more usually called de Paris, who did Homage for the Manor in 1247.
About 1252 he alienated the Manor of Aston Clinton to William de Montagu for his Homage & Service. The new Tenant in 1268 made an exchange with Philip Basset & Lady Ella his wife, who obtained it for their lives, holding by Fealty & the yearly Rental of 1d. Lady Ella, who was the daughter of William Longespee, Earl of Salisbury & Countess of Warwick in Right of her 1st husband, survived Philip Basset and held the Manor till her death. William de Montagu died in or before 1271, and his son and heir Simon, who was a Minor, surrendered all his Lands into the hands of the King. In 1290, however, he obtained a new Charter from Edward I, Granting him the Manor of Aston Clinton to hold in Fee-Tail and 2-yrs later the Countess of Warwick was ordered by the King to do Fealty & Service to Simon for the Manor. The Montagus held the Manor without interruption until the death of Thomas Montagu, Earl of Salisbury. He left an only daughter & heiress Alice, who married Richard Nevill, Earl of Warwick, who was recognised as Earl of Salisbury on the death of his father. He & his wife Granted the Manor of Aston Clinton for life to Richard Hertcombe, who died in 1435 and it reverted to the Earl & Countess.
Their Lands passed to their son Richard Nevill, the Kingmaker, and after his death at the Battle of Barnet in 1471 his Lands were divided between his 2 sons-in-law, the Dukes of Clarence & Gloucester. Aston Clinton must have been assigned to Clarence & his wife Isabel, since it passed to their son Edward, Earl of Warwick, who was Attainted & Executed in 1499. The Manor remained in the hands of the Crown until Margaret, the sister of the last Earl of Warwick, was restored in Lands & Blood in 1513. She was also created Countess of Salisbury & married Sir Richard Pole. She held the Manor until 1539, when, falling under the suspicion of Henry VIII as a possible heir to the Throne, she was Attainted & Executed 2-yrs later. Henry VIII retained Aston Clinton in his own hands, but Edward VI Granted it to his sister, the Lady Mary, in 1549. Soon after her Accession to the Throne, however, she restored it to Sir Thomas Hastings & his wife Winifred, one of the granddaughters & heiresses of the Countess of Salisbury. After the death of Hastings his Widow married Sir Thomas Barrington, who was in Seisin of the Manor of Aston Clinton in 1579. The reversion of the Manor was Granted by Elizabeth to Lord Burghley, Sir William Mildmay & Gilbert Gerrard, and by James I to Sir Francis Barrington. The latter was the son of Sir Thomas Barrington & his wife Winifred, and afterwards succeeded them in the Manor. In 1614 Sir Francis & his wife Joan obtained Licence to alienate the Manor of Aston Clinton to Gilbert Gerrard, who married the daughter of Sir Francis Barrington.
The Gerrards held the Manor without interruption until Elizabeth, the heiress of Sir Charles Gerrard, who died in 1701, married Warwick Lake. The Manor descended to her heirs, and in 1765 her grandson Gerard Lake, Baron Lake of Delhi, etc, and of Aston Clinton, was Lord of the Manor. He was raised to the Peerage as a reward for distinguished Services in India during the Mahratta War. He had previously served in Germany, France, & America, and had been 2nd in Command of the Forces in the North of Ireland during the Rebellion of 1797-98, defeating the French Force that Landed there.
He was Commander-in-Chief in India from 1800 to 1805 and won the Battles of Delhi & Leswarzi in 1803. He represented the Borough of Aylesbury in Parliament from 1790 to 1802, although during part of the time he was absent from England. He died in 1808 and was succeeded in his Titles by his 2 sons in succession. The 3rd Viscount Lake died in 1848, leaving 2 daughters as his heiresses, and all his Titles became extinct. The Manorial Rights in Aston Clinton were extinguished by the Inclosure Act of 1814, in return for several acres of Land, but the Estate was in the possession of the Lakes Family till shortly after the death of the last Lord Lake. In 1851 it was purchased by Sir Anthony de Rothschild, Bart and is now held by his Widow Louisa, Dowager Lady de Rothschild.
The Manor of Aston Clinton was held by Grand Serjeanty, but the exact Service is differently described at different times. In 1210–12 William de Clinton held it by the Serjeanty of the Larderer. Some years later, however, Nicia de Clinton was bound to provide a Serjeant, with Horse & Arms to serve in the King’s Army at her own cost for 40-days. The different Lords of the Manor, however, and especially the elder William de Clinton, had alienated part of the Serjeanty without the King’s consent. This appears to have passed unnoticed, until many of the Services due from the Serjeanties in Beds & Bucks were commuted by Robert Passelewe, probably between 1246 & 1255. William de Paris received over £15 a year for the alienated Land, but under the pressure of the Royal Officials, an Agreement was made as between William & his Tenants. The latter were to answer to him for the 3rd part of the value of his Tenement and to pay 111s a year, which he paid to the King. His own Service, for the Land that remained in his own hands, was changed from Serjeanty to the Military Service due from 1-Knight’s Fee. The rent from the Tenants was paid through all the changes of the Lords of the Manor. It is mentioned in a rental, made in the Reign of Edward III, and again when the Manor of Aston Chiverey (qv) was in the hands of Henry VI. The Rent was finally purchased in 1671 from the Trustees for the sale of the Fee-Farm rents payable to the Crown by Sir Francis Gerrard, who then held the Manor. The rents, however, had then been settled or were about to be settled on the Queen for her life as part of her Jointure, and therefore she was entitled to take the rents during her life, the reversion being vested in Sir Francis. A Court Leet, a Court Baron & View of Frankpledge were held for the Manor.
At the end of the 12thC, William de Clinton alienated 40 Librates of Land, which afterwards formed the Manor of Aston Chiverey, to Reginald de Mohun in Frank-marriage with Alice, probably the daughter of William de Clinton. After the death of Reginald, Alice held the Manor herself, but before 1215 she married Robert de Beauchamp, and they held the Manor Jointly.
Between 1247 & 1261–2 the Manor of Chiverey was Granted at Ferm to James de Audley, who afterwards became possessed of the Fee-simple. Alice de Audley, the Widow of James de Audley, or his son of the same name, held the Manor of Aston Chiverey in the 14thC. She died in 1342 and was succeeded by William de Audley, the grandson of James de Audley. He claimed to hold it by Descent from the original Feoffees of William de Clinton. William de Audley settled the Manor of Chiverey on himself, his wife Joan & their heirs. He died in 1367, and his Widow held it till 1382 when it passed to Elizabeth the niece of William de Audley & daughter of Thomas de Audley. Elizabeth married John Rose, an Esquire of Richard II. She seems to have predeceased her husband, who held the Manor for life, according to a Settlement made in 1387, and by Agreement with Philip St Clair, who seems to have been the heir of Elizabeth Rose. His only relationship to Elizabeth was apparently through the mother of William de Audley, who was one of the sisters & co-heiresses of Edmund de Bereford. Another sister married John St Clair the grandfather of Philip. Philip St Clair never was in Seisin of the Manor, since John Rose outlived him. The latter died in 1410, and Aston Chiverey was seized into the King’s hands during the Minority of John son & heir of Philip. John died before coming of age, and the Manor passed to his brother Thomas, who twice in a very short time tried to evade the Rights of Wardship of the Wing. In 1424 he was Fined £200 for having married Margaret Hoo without the King’s consent, while he was still a Ward of Henry V and in 1425 he made a Settlement of the Manor of Aston Chiverey with the intent to defraud the King of the Wardship of his heirs and was Fined £60. He died in 1435, leaving 3 daughters, the eldest of whom was then 13-yrs-old. In the Partition of his Lands, the Manor was assigned to Eleanor, the 2nd daughter, who married John Gage. They held it Jointly till the death of Eleanor and then John held it for life. He died in 1476 and was succeeded by his son William Gage & grandson Sir John Gage. The latter, together with his wife Philippa and Edmund & John Gage, sold the Manor of Aston Chiverey in 1532 to Margaret, Countess of Salisbury, Reginald Pole, Clerk, and others, and from this time it was held with the Manor of Aston Clinton (qv).
Another Manor, known as Vaches Manor, in Aston Clinton, appears to have been held by Richard de Turri in the early part of the 13thC. He obtained Licence to build a Chapel in his Land in Aston from Bishop Grosteste (1235–53). He died before 1271, but his Manor did not pass to his son & heir Richard, but to Richard de la Vache. The latter obtained a Quitclaim from the younger de Turri, who acknowledged the Manor to be the Right of Richard de la Vache. There were Suits between them as to Land & Messuages in Aston Clinton, but Richard de la Vache remained in undisturbed possession of the Manor. Before 1302-03 he was succeeded by Matthew de la Vache, who was followed by another Richard de la Vache, his son. The latter obtained a Grant of Free Warren in his Demesne Lands in Aston Clinton in 1364. He was succeeded by his son Philip de la Vache, who was certified of full age in 1371. Philip was made a Knight of the Garter, receiving the Honour after February 1398-99. He was Keeper of the Royal Park at Chiltern Langley and was a Knight of the Shire in the Parliament of 1387. He married Elizabeth daughter of Sir Lewis Clifford, and various Settlements were made of Vaches Manor which appears to have been held by a John de la Vache & his wife Elizabeth for life. Philip also Granted it to several Feoffees, presumably to the use, after his own death, of his wife & heir. Sir Philip de la Vache died in 1407 or 1408, and his Widow held the Manor for life in 1410; she Enfeoffed John Kirkham and his wife Anna to hold during her life. After her death, Kirkham refused to give up the Manor to the Feoffees of Sir Philip, represented by John Buktoft & a Lawsuit ensued, the result of which does not appear. The heir of Philip de la Vache is said to have been his daughter Blanche, the 1st wife of Richard Grey de Wilton, who certainly obtained Vaches Manor. He had a further claim on it since his grandmother had been Matilda, the sister of Matthew de la Vache. He Granted the Manor to Richard Henbarowe, John Clubbewell, & Richard Koppe, but some years afterwards, in 1442, the last named Feoffee re-Granted it to Richard & his 2nd wife Margaret in Fee-Tail. Reginald Grey was the son & heir of Richard, but Margaret held the Manor for her life. Edmund, Lord Grey de Wilton & his wife Florence held it in 1506, but in that year they sold it to Thomas Craford, William Lynne, Nicholas Shelton, Richard Lee & the heirs of Shelton. Vaches Manor afterwards passed to John Colet, Dean of St Paul’s and formed part of the Endowment of St Paul’s School. The Trustees of the School, the Mercers Company of London, still own Vaches Farm in Aston Clinton.
At the close of the 12thC the Manor of Dunridge was Held by Henry de Crokesley of William de Clinton. Henry Granted Land with the consent of his heir from his Tenement in Dundridge to the Abbey of Missenden in the time of Robert de Braybroc, who was under-Sheriff of the County in 1197 & 1199 and Sheriff in 1204 & 1205. The Grant was confirmed by William de Crokesley, the nephew & heir of Henry, when in possession of Dundridge, and also by a Roger & a 2nd Henry de Crokesley. The Manor was afterwards held by Richard de Crokesley in the 13thC, certainly between 1240-41 & 1286. After the Grant of Aston Clinton Manor by William de Paris to William de Montagu, Richard de Crokesley brought an action in 1261 against the latter, to recover reasonable Estover in a Wood at Aston, appertaining to his Manor of Dundridge. John de Crokesley is mentioned in 1275, but whether he ever held the Manor does not appear. Shortly afterwards the Sub-Tenancy must have lapsed, since William de Montagu, Earl of Salisbury, died Seised, c.1320, of Lands & Messuages at Dundridge, and in a Survey of the Manor made in the Reign of Edward III, Crokesley’s Land is mentioned among the Free Tenements held of Isabella de Montagu. Thomas, Earl of Salisbury, died Seised of the Manor of Dundridge in 1428, and it was held with the Manor of Aston Clinton until it passed into the hands of Henry VIII on the Attainder of Margaret, Countess of Salisbury. In 1544 the King sold the Manor of Dundridge to Sir John Baldwin, who died Seised of the Manor. It then passed to his grandson Sir Thomas Pakington & in 1578 it was sold by John Pakington to Henry & Richard Baldwin. Henry Baldwin obtained a Grant of Free Warren in his Lands in Aston Clinton from James I in 1620. Before 1628 the Manor passed to Richard, presumably the son of Henry Baldwin, and he settled it on his wife Christian & his own heirs Male, on his brother Silvester & the 4 sons of Silvester. Richard died in 1636, and although his Widow survived him, Dundridge seems to have come into the possession of Henry Baldwin, his nephew. Before 1670 it passed to Edward Baldwin, who sold it to Thomas Baldwin. Another Edward Baldwin appears to have succeeded to the Manor before 1689, and his Family held it till 1768 when Robert Monteith Baldwin sold it to the father of Edward Darell, who owned Dundridge in 1813. His daughter Elizabeth married John Jeffrey and her grandson, the Rev John Jeffrey, Rector of Barnes, inherited it. In 1900, on the death of Canon Jeffrey of Hawkhurst, Kent, his Trustees sold his Estate at Dundridge. The House & 150 acres of Land were owned & occupied by Mr Robert T Green; about 130 acres were sold to Mr Frederick Butcher of Tring and the remaining 50 acres were purchased in 3 separate Divisions.
The Manor of Dundridge formed part of the Serjeanty of Aston Clinton, and like the Main Manor, its Service was commuted by Robert Passelewe in the Reign of Henry III. The Crokesley’s had, like the Lords of Aston Clinton, alienated part of their Land, and Richard de Crokesley’s Tenants also answered by Agreement for the 3rd part of his Holding, paying the annual rent of 11s-9d. This Rent was bought in 1671 by Sir Francis Gerrard at the same time that he obtained the Rent due from his own Manor. The Service from the Land retained by Richard de Crokesley in his own hands was changed from Serjeanty to Military Service, and his whole Fee answered for the 30th part of a Knight’s Fee. In 1254 he paid ½-Mark yearly to the King, to be Quit of Suit of Court, and 10s yearly for the Right to hold the View of Frankpledge for his Tenants.
Henry de Crokesley alienated part of his Land in Dundridge to the Abbey of Missenden, with the consent of William de Clinton. He Granted them ’13 Solidatae’ of Land, with the Tenants living there & the 3rd part of his Demesne Land, excepting the Land previously Granted to the Chapel of St Leonard. In 1254 the Abbot of Missenden was said to Hold in Chief of the King, paying 13s a year by an Agreement with his Tenants, but previously he had Held of the Serjeanty of William de Paris. The possessions of the Abbey were confirmed by the Popes Innocent IV & Boniface IX, and Rents & Services in Dundridge are mentioned. The Abbey held the Lands in Dundridge until the Dissolution. In 1540 Henry VIII Granted Land in Aston Clinton to Michael Dormer, that had formerly belonged to the Abbey of Missenden, but it is not said to be at Dundridge & 4-yrs later he gave 2 Messuages called Brunes & Brownes, respectively and certain Demesne Lands at Dundridge to Henry Bradshawe. The Tenement called Brownes passed into the hands of John Ginger, Yeoman, before 1607, when he sold it to his son Michael for £300.
The Manor of Montjoy in Aston Clinton was held by the Montagus in Demesne. Of its earlier History there seems to be no record, but in 1397 William de Montagu, Earl of Salisbury, died Seised of Lands & Tenements in Montjoy held of the King by Fealty. He had Granted them in Fee to Sir William Farendon, who obtained a re-Grant from the King on the death of the Earl. The Manor is mentioned for the last time in an Inquisition on the Lands of Edward Earl of Warwick, taken in 1513 some years after his Attainder.
The Manor of Oke was apparently in the Parish of Aston Clinton, but it is only mentioned twice in the 14th & 15thCs. John Rose & his wife Elizabeth held the Manors of Chiverey & Oke in 1389. Thomas St Clare also held the Manor of Oke in 1424, but it is not mentioned again in the Descent of the Manor of Aston Chiverey.
In Domesday Book, there was one Mill at Aston Clinton of the yearly value of 5 ‘ores’ of Silver. In the 13thC, Robert son of Martin held the Mill, with Land & Wood, from William de Paris, and a Watermill is mentioned as Appurtenant to the Manor when it was held by the Earls of Salisbury. In the 1st years of the 16thC, it was in such a complete state of Disrepair that no Tenant could be found to take it, but by 1520 this had been remedied, and a new Tenant was in possession. There is no Watermill in Aston Clinton Parish at the present day.
Aston Clinton House (also known as Green Park though referred to as simply Aston Clinton by the Rothschild Family) was a large Mansion to the South-East of the Village of Aston Clinton in Bucks.
In 1853, Anthony Nathan de Rothschild completed the purchase & Modernisation of Aston Clinton House & extensive Estates in the area. The Architect involved was George Devey, who was later to transform another Rothschild Property, Ascott House, Wing. Old photographs of the House show a sprawling neo-Georgian/Italianate House with Verandahs and a large Porte-cochère (a Porch where vehicles stop to set down passengers). A large number of Workers’ Cottages were built, and 2 Schools and a Village Hall set up under Rothschild Patronage.
B0ys School Aston Clinton
On the death of Lady Louise de Rothschild in 1910, the House was bequeathed to her 2 daughters, Constance, Lady Battersea & Annie, The Hon Mrs Eliot Yorke, who shared it as a Holiday Home, spending a few weeks together there each summer.
In WW1, like the adjoining Halton House & Estate, Aston Clinton House was lent to the War Office, becoming in September 1914 the HQ of 21st Infantry Division. 21st Division was a “New Army” Division, part of Kitchener’s Army, and it was formed-up & trained on Rothschild Land in Bucks, initially in Tring but in 1915 on both the Halton & Aston Clinton Estates. Four Brigades of Field Artillery & one Heavy Battery received their Advanced Training in the Grounds of Aston Clinton House in the Spring & Summer of 1915, including extensive Gas Offensive & Defensive Training. Final inspection of the Division by Lord Kitchener occurred in August 1915 and the move to France took place from 2nd to 13th September 1915.
At the start of WW2 the House was the Green Park Hotel, but during the War the Stables were used by EKCO, an Electronics Company from Southend-on-Sea, Essex, as its main Headquarters and for Radar Research & Development, and the Main House was used as a Hospital for War Wounded. It later became a Boys’ Prep School (where Evelyn Waugh began his Teaching Career as a Junior Master), followed by a further brief spell as a Hotel. The main Building was demolished between 1956 & 1958.
Bucks County Council then acquired the Property with the Proviso that it be used for Educational purposes. Today the Estate is used as a Residential Training Centre for young people. Many of the original ornamental features of the extended Garden still remain, incorporated into the Site now called Green Park. All that remain of the Buildings of the Estate are the Stables, used as part of the Training Centre, and the Lodge in Stablebridge Road.